Friday, November 26, 2010

dinner

Thanksgiving dinner last night was great. Other than one meal at Blocky's and one at Benson's this was the first meal I've had that wasn't in my apartment or at my desk since I went to HK 7 weeks ago. I was amazed at how apprehensive I was about going to a friend's house to eat, it was far too real world and out of my little bubble. It was by far the furthest off the reservation I've gone since I never took my indulgence, but it wasn't really so far off. Turkey was about the right amount of protein, went heavy on the green beans, light on the mashed potatoes, skipped the cranberry sauce and had some yams. There was some butter and salt in the food, but I didn't add any extra. Had a little bit of stuffing and a roll, but other than that it worked. Stuck to water, skipped the wine.

Would I have rather had seconds (and thirds)? Yes. Would I have liked to drown everything in gravy? Yes. Would wine have been great? Yes. Did I miss any of it that much? No.

Best of all, I didn't really have to think about it. I know what 80 grams of protein looks like. I know how much veg I need to fill me up (not that much these days). I wasn't hungry. It was awesome. I have new hope for sustainability after the project ends.

17 days left? Oh yeah, bring it on.

3 comments:

  1. Willpower through a Thanksgiving dinner is some serious willpower. You're a new man Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the self control! Thanksgiving, I would wager, could have been dangerous territory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I skipped thanksgiving altogether, great that you made it out and were able to have a good holiday meal while keeping to the regime.

    ReplyDelete